Tuesday, May 22
The theme of my portfolio is a story in two parts, meant to reflect my academic journey and my personal life. On the surface, it's a very STEM based collection. I've nicknamed all the tabs and portions of my portfolio after parts of a laboratory class, even posing myself as an instructor. However, on a deeper level, the works not connected to my major are all rhetorical analysis and or creative pieces which have themes of science fiction, greek mythos, and self identity. All of these themes are incredibly important to me, and juxtapose the clinical, unfeeling nature that a laboratory handout typically possesses. I wanted to stage it this way with these specific pieces, because they had the most day and night comparison to how you would expect "scientific literature" and a "scientific author" to write. While I don't ever foresee this portfolio being more than a collection of collegiate works that I share with friends and curious colleagues, I did take away a lot about ways to structure a class (and the course materials) in a more engaging and interactive way. Canvas, Blackboard, and other sites alike are similar in that cold and unfeeling nature. Using something like this to pose course material if I chose to go the route of continuing academia would potentially be incredibly useful.
Good point about online course design and Canvas. Don't get me started on a Canvas rant! However, yes, it could be much better designed to allow for multiple ways to teach. I wish it allowed teachers to customize how they organized content, graded, and posted homework and assignments much more! And, yes, it is completely devoid of personality with a very functional but boring design scheme.
ReplyDeleteI'm really intrigued by the juxtaposition between creative work and analytical framing. I've been looking at the influence that framing works can have recently, so seeing you point to that conflict as a beneficial thing is cool. One of my favorite things about these portfolios is that they are uniform in some sense, and creative in another, and it seems like you've been able to weave those together to make your portfolio personally relevant while still reflecting what you're truly interested in.
ReplyDelete